Monday, October 17, 2011

Occupy

I've been watching the "occupy" movement and related protests recently.  It's rather difficult to avoid.  There have been protests around the world, and even here in our area.  Some of those protests were downright impressive.  Others?  Not so much.

The focus appears to be corporate greed and government impotence.  Please note that I am a professional skeptic when I say good luck changing those two things.  It's the golden rule:  whoever has the gold makes the rules.

As I see it, it's not just the money aspect.  People feel there's no one listening to them, and no one cares.  Hence, the anger.  I can understand it.   I just wonder if we're going about solving it in the right way.

This country has a history of moving forward and enacting change after protest, going back to the Boston Tea Party and the Revolutionary War.  Now, we protest with the dollars we spend (or not spend) and at the voting machine on election day.  Holding up signs in the park is now a huge part of the equation.

Now, let's just see if it goes anywhere.