Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Who Do You Blame?

I see most of the Tweets and e-mails that come in to the station.  While I don't have a Facebook page, I did read a stack of printed comments over the weekend.  The topic was the layoffs at Offest Paperback in Dallas.

Offset is trimming 70 workers at the end of the month.  There is less of a demand for traditional books because, according to the company, more people are turning to e-readers, like the Nook and the Kindle.

Many of the comments blasted the manufacturers of e-readers and the people who buy them.

I recognize that jobs are extremely important, and losing one is emotional.  I've been there.

I don't have an e-reader, but I do see their value.  They get books in readers' hands faster and cheaper.  Everything has a price.  In this case, the printers take it in the shorts.

You can't stop technology from advancing.  My heart goes out to the people leaving Offset at the end of the month.

I will end with this.  I recently paid a visit to the book store that replaced Borders at the Viewmont Mall in Dickson City.  It was busy on a January weekday afternoon.  People still want books, and that's a good thing.