Monday, February 6, 2012

Broadcasters

We have both the happy and the sad today.  I'll begin with the sad.

Don Cornelius, creator and host of Soul Train took his own life last week.  I have a soft spot for underappreciated individuals, and I think Cornelius is on the list.

Soul Train went on the air in 1971.  It was essentially American Bandstand for black kids.  Today, it might not seem like such a big deal, but remember the time.  Cornelius showed the country that there was some good music out there that wasn't getting its due.  More importantly, Cornelius showed a country, fresh off the problems of the 60's, that black kids were nothing to fear.  Don Cornelius made such a positive contribution to black-- and American culture.  He was 75.

On a much happier note, David Letterman last week celebrated 30 years in late night.  His 12:30 AM NBC show went on the air in February of 1982.  I loved Letterman's short lived morning show, so I was thrilled when NBC gave him another opportunity.

I still marvel at this.  Remember when the local NBC station took Letterman off the air for several months in 1983 for "Thicke of the Night?"  What were they thinking?

Letterman has changed a lot over the years, maturing as a comedian and as a broadcaster.  There are some nights it seems like Dave doesn't want to be there, and the "cranky old man" act can wear thin at times, but Letterman is still the best act in late night television.  He can puncture pomposity better than anyone.

By the way, I predicted the Patriots would win the Super Bowl in a squeaker.  It was actually the other way around, and I couldn't be happier.   While I don't love the New York Giants, they are still better than the cheating Patriots.  I slept through the game, as is my tradition.  I'll find highlights, somewhere, today.

And, one other thing...  All the network morning shows, and I assume the cable shows, did segments on Super Bowl commercials.  I realize advertising is big business.  But, isn't there something more important to talk about?