Monday, February 13, 2012

To Tell the Truth

I have a love/hate relationship with the web site LinkedIn.  In case you're not familiar with it, it's sort of a FaceBook for business types.  I find it mostly useless, but I have located an e-mail address or two through it.

My LinkedIn pendulum took a wild swing in the "negative" direction recently.

I won't name the person, or the place of employment, but I encountered a massive piece of fiction under in someone's resume posted on LinkedIn.  It far outstated this person's accomplishments.  It's even beyond that.  It's a lie.

Resume padding is a fact of life.  Just about everyone has done it at one time or another.  You don't have to place your hand on a bible while you're updating your LinkedIn profile.  However, at the very least, you should be honest.  That stuff catches up with you, and it will eventually bite you on the behind.

A former co-worker, not the person who is the subject of today's blog, recently asked for a reference, and I was thrilled to provide it.  It's someone who's worked very hard, and someone who deserves to get ahead.

When it comes to references, I've adopted the policy of my high school senior year English teacher, the great Stanley Evans.  He would give a good reference, or he would decline.  Evans wouldn't torch you.  However, in the case of my resume padding friend, I'd be tempted to go nuclear.