Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Chemical Imbalance

It was a day I dreaded for a week.


I knew Tom Williams would be off yesterday.  I didn't know Mindi would also be off and Raegan Medgie would be filling in.  That bit of news arrived about a week ago at this time.


I do the weekend morning broadcasts with Noreen Clark, and it's a comfort level 14 years in the making.  I've been filling in for Tom, with Mindi, for the past few years.  Mindi is a dream to work with, and she always helps me through occasional bouts of co-anchor rustiness.


Monday would be my first time seated next to "The Medge," as we call her, and I worried about it for days.  We get along great off camera.  I fretted over on-screen chemistry.


I should point out that all my worrying was rather silly.  We are not heavy equipment operators, air traffic controllers, or surgeons.  No one dies if we step on each other's lines, if there's an awkward pause, or if the banter with Joe isn't sharp and clever.


As it turned out, my anxiety was for nothing.  It wasn't a perfect show.  Some of the cross talk was a little forced.  A couple pieces of video got lost in the computer system.  Still, for the first time around, it was more than decent.


Things worked so well, we joked, off camera, about doing a pilot for a "Regis & Kelly" rip off.  Cranky, old man.  Sparkly, young woman.  It could work.