Thursday, May 24, 2012

Business and Industry II

I will never cease to be amazed at the lengths American corporations will go to get consumers the products they want.

It's widely known that incandescent light bulbs are major energy wasters.  Most of  your electricity dollar goes in to producing heat, not light.  The government wants us to stop using these things, in favor of the more expensive, but more efficient compact florescent bulbs.

100 watt bulbs are the first to be phased out, followed by lower wattage bulbs with each passing year.

It's General Electric to the rescue!

My folks have a basement/laundry area where they love the 100 watters.  Their last big bulb burned out over the weekend, and I was dispatched to find another.

Let me back up a moment.  They dislike CFL's because they take a while to reach full brightness, and they hate the shade of light most CFL's offer.

I was walking through Walmart yesterday, when I spied GE's new offering-- a 90 watt incandescent bulb.  No 100 watters in sight, but plenty of 90's.  That should keep the government happy.  I had never seen a 90, and against my better judgement, I bought a 4 pack.

By the way, all of this happened as PPL announced a rate increase.

Thomas Edison would have been proud.