Saturday, May 26, 2012

Classic Bad Photography Saturday: Albany 1

See if you can follow my cockeyed reasoning here.  It's Memorial Day weekend, the start of summer vacation season, and I thought I'd share a couple vacation photos I took before the blog started eight years ago.

Believe it or not, I went to Albany for a vacation in 2003.  Yes.  Really.  Albany.

The reason?  There was a new World Trade Center exhibit at the State Museum of New York.  I saw it, and in a way, I'm sorry I did.  It was chilling.  The exhibit featured photos, videos, pieces of twisted metal, and the remains of a fire truck crushed beneath the debris.  There was a small mound of personal effects, things like key chains and stuffed animals that were found in the rubble-- items that were never matched with their owners.  My visit was unforgettable.

Moving on.  This is a shot of the capitol complex-- an area that underwent massive renovations during the Rockefeller administration.  I can't say I liked it.  It's possible to mix new buildings with the old successfully.  Here, I didn't think it worked.

I will say that I  really enjoyed the scenery of upstate NY.