Thursday, May 3, 2012

This Old Interstate

I used to be a big "This Old House" fan, even though I have no home improvement skills.

Then, the show changed.  Bob Vila left, followed by a succession bad hosts.  The show took on projects only the extremely wealthy could afford.  It had a scripted and rehearsed feel.

Be that as it may, I was reminded of something carpenter Norm Abrams once said while driving on Interstate 81 on a recent morning.  Norm hates brick porch steps.  He reasons that there are too many joints, and all joints eventually fail-- especially ones exposed to the elements.

Did you see the work on 81 in the Scranton/Moosic/Avoca area?  It's all joints, patches, and seams.

I will preface this next part by saying yes, I know money is an issue.

Penndot appeared to have two choices-- resurface the road, do it once, and do it right...  or put patches all over the place, patches that won't last, and patches that will have to be re-done.

You already knew which one they chose.

Trucker surveys always rate Pennsylvania roads at the bottom of the national list.

Surprised?  I think not.