Friday, May 4, 2012

Tragedy Upon Tragedy

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I was listening to Mike & Mike on the radio Thursday morning.  Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic are two of the most talent-less people ever to host a network radio morning show.  It's more proof of the "rising tide lifts all boats" theory.  These guys are on ESPN Radio, THE brand when it comes to sports radio.  The network is more important than the people who work on it.

So, if I dislike Mike & Mike, why was I listening?  The answer is they were on right before Tony Kornheiser.

Golic and Greenberg were discussing Wednesday's suicide of former NFL great Junior Seau.  Before I launch into my tirade, let me say that any suicide is a horrible tragedy.  The investigation is far from over.  People are already pointing to the head injuries Seau suffered as a player as one of the reasons.

Here we go.  Golic was also figuring depression in to the equation because he said many NFL players don't know what to to "when the music stops."  They've been participating in a game since they were children, and players don't know what to do when their careers come to an end.

So, here's my take on the unpreparedness factor.  Maybe some of these guys would be happier in their retirement if they actually opened some books and spent time in class.

Junior Seau sat out his freshman year at the University of Southern California because he couldn't crack a 700 on his college boards-- the minimum for acceptance at USC.

I couldn't find any information that Seau received a degree from USC.  If he did, I apologize.

Major college athletes have been given many gifts-- physical ability, plus a free education, room and board, that the rest of us can only dream of.

I cannot say this any more clearly:  JUNIOR SEAU WAS TOO YOUNG TO DIE.  SUICIDE, AND THE EVENTS THAT LEAD UP TO IT ARE HORRIBLE.  I AM SORRY HE IS GONE.  SEAU DID A LOT OF GOOD WITH HIS SHORT LIFE, AND MY SYMPATHY TO HIS FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

My beef here is with Mike Golic.  You cannot have it both ways.  You cannot be handed the opportunity for a tremendous education, and claim you're unprepared for life at the same time.