Friday, June 8, 2012

Hi, I'm John Meyer

As I said earlier this week, it's been a long time since I last visited Bellfonte.  The Sandusky trial brought me there Tuesday morning.  I noted that big stories are like broadcasters' conventions-- where you see old friends and make new ones.

As is my habit, I like to explore the area while the crew is setting up.  It keeps me out of their way.  I usually find information for my stories by wandering about, and it gives me a chance to collect my thoughts.

I was walking through the park outside the Centre County Courthouse early Tuesday morning.  We were one of the first crews there.  A young man walked up to me and said "Hi, I'm John Meyer."  As you know, we have a Jon Meyer at WNEP.  I was stunned for a moment.  The new John Meyer is a reporter for WTAE TV 4, the ABC station in Pittsburgh.  We had a nice chat about the Sandusky case, our stations, and where our careers have taken us over the years.

WTAE's John Meyer is as nice as WNEP's Jon Meyer-- and that's not easy.