Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Tigerless Tank

I'm not sure who gets the bulk of the blame for this-- Exxon/Mobil or Citi Bank, so I'll torch them both.

I've had a credit card with those two for a few years.  It got me a few cents off gasoline.  It wasn't much, but it was better than nothing.

I just received notice that the credit card program is being discontinued, but there's great news!  I can have a new credit card from Exxon/Mobil that gets me six cents off a gallon!

Of all the gasoline credit cards out there, a six cent discount is the largest I've seen.  Wonderful!  I'm pre approved.  Oh, wait.  There's some fine print here.  Let's take a look.

In order to get the discount, I have to buy 45 gallons of gas a month.  I think my tank holds 14 gallons.  That means I have to buy three tanks per month, and fill up when the tank is on empty.

Impossible.  First, I rarely go below a quarter tank.  I'm blessed that I live close to work and the dollar store.  There's no way I buy 45 gallons a month.

The credit card offer quickly found a home in my shredder.