Saturday, October 20, 2012

Bad Photography Saturday: The River

I was surprised at how fast the river came up after Friday morning's rain.

My intent was to find a little fall, but it's just my luck.  I don't have free time on sunny, clear days.  It was still cloudy and drizzly early yesterday afternoon when I found an opportunity to grab the camera and do a little exploring.

This is a shot of the Lackawanna River, from the footbridge between Blakely and Olyphant.  This is the upstream view, showing a high and rapid Lackawanna River.  I've been on that bridge hundreds of times, and it was really rocking in the current.

The water color was strange.  It always muddies up after a heavy rain.  This time, it seemed darker than normal, almost like hot chocolate.

One thing the photo can't capture is the smell.  The stench of raw sewage was everywhere.  Apparently the storm run off overwhelmed a system or two somewhere, and some bad things wound up in the Lackawanna.

Remember boys and girls, it's why you rarely see Uncle Apal wade through flood waters, like some grandstanding reporters.  It's the equivalent of walking through an open sewer.  I like e-readers, not e-coli.  I have no interest in a potentially life threatening bacterial infection.  I have enough problems.