Saturday, October 6, 2012

Bad Photography Saturday: Stadium Tour


I found myself in the Lehigh Valley again recently, so I decided to take a spin over to Coca Cola Park in Allentown, home of the Iron Pigs.

It opened in 2008, and I wanted to see how it was holding up.  I was also suffering from a little stadium withdrawl, prompted by the demolition of Lackawanna County Stadium in Moosic.  Other than a little chipped concrete, the park looks great.  Plus, I was there on a spectacular weather day.  There's something about a ballpark on a late summer sunny day that makes you feel good.
Coca Cola Park is almost as much kiddie playground as it is AAA baseball stadium.  This is a shot from the outfield walkway.  Yes, that's a mini golf hole on the left, and a slide in the middle.  There is a bouncy house just to the right of the slide.  The picture was taken well before game time, so it was deflated.

The purist/snob part of me hates the playground concept, but I do realize minor league baseball is family entertainment, and if you keep the kids happy, they'll want to keep coming back.  "Coming back" is what it's all about.

More stadium pictures tomorrow.