Saturday, October 27, 2012

Bad Photography Saturday: The Train

I really like this one, and you might be seeing it in this year's top ten at the end of December.

Here's the story.  I was on Lackawanna Avenue in Mayfield on a recent afternoon.  I could see a train off to my right, moving up the tracks toward Carbondale.  I needed to get ahead of it, jump out of the car, point the camera, and get my shot.

Problem:  a slow moving garbage truck was ahead of me-- a very slow moving garbage truck.

The driver finally became inspired, or the garbage truck caught a good gear.  It began to gather a little speed, enough for me to get ahead of the train.  I quickly pulled over to the side of the road, grabbed the camera, ran up an embankment and began firing away.

This is one of the few times I used the "sports" mode on my camera.  It's meant to capture moving subjects, and you can fire off several shots in a short amount of time.  The results weren't great, but good enough for a decent shot.  Red train.  Fall foliage.  It works.