Monday, October 29, 2012

OK. Now, it's Christmas



By the Apal barometer, the Christmas season has "officially" arrived.  Santa can't be far behind.

The Hickory Farms kiosk is up and running inside the Viewmont Mall in Dickson City, and chances are, there's one near you.

Above is a camera phone photo I snapped Thursday afternoon.

I can't remember a recent time when I've indulged in Hickory Farms merchandise, but it always was a part of holidays past.  If I didn't blow in there for a gift pack, someone had Hickory Farms cheese or their meat-like products on a party platter.  Supermarket cheese sections have come a tremendous way, and there's not much of a need for Hickory Farms these days.

That stuff will start looking pretty good if the power goes out during Sandy, and I run out of food.  Luckily, I laid in a supply of Diet Pepsi, Spaghetti-O's and Pop Tarts.

I'm old enough to remember the time Hickory Farms had a store at Viewmont year-round.  They were big on giving out samples, especially banana chips and some horrid sesame crackers.

Merry Christmas!