Monday, November 12, 2012

SA

On this Veterans Day, a few words on a different army-- The Salvation Army.

I've noted my fondness for the organization here in the past.  It goes back a long way.  My mom always made sure I had some change or a buck to drop into the red kettles as we Christmas shopped.  Tradition.  We always remembered there were people in need.

The Salvation Army came to mind again during the recent hurricane.  The organization fed thousands up and down the Atlantic coast and throughout the mid Atlantic.

What impresses me the most is the Salvation Army did it quietly and competently.  There was no handing out with one hand, and asking for more with the other.  They treat everyone with dignity and respect.

We're all lucky the Salvation Army is around.

The organization is religion based, and I think that keeps it from getting the massive and widespread support that others enjoy.  Let me tell you something.  I've dealt with the Salvation Army, personally and professionally, for a very long time.  It doesn't jam religion in your face.

If you have a few dollars to spare this holiday season, I hope you'll remember the Salvation Army.

And, thank a veteran today.