Monday, December 17, 2012

LMAD

Monty Hall and Wayne Brady would be proud.

The holidays present an interesting situation in the big newsroom.  Everybody wants Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day off.  Not everyone can have it.

There isn't any whining or bawling.  When you take a job in the news business, you have to know you're going to work holidays.  You'd be amazed at how many people entering the business don't seem to "get" that.  What are they teaching them in college?

Management tries to keep as many people happy as possible, and that creates a lot of trading.  The scheduler makes an offer.  You make a counter offer.  Co-workers trade.  It all works out.  The news gets covered.  The shifts are filled.  All's well that ends well.

I'm lucky.  This is my 15th holiday season at WNEP.  I'm high enough on the seniority ladder to be asked about my preferences.  I'm not greedy.  I do realize I'm blessed that my family is close.  I'm also not much of a holiday guy, so I took some less than desirable shifts.

It's no "big deal."  I asked for it.