Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Christmas Letter



It is something I look forward to, yet dread every year.

An old college friend always sends me a Christmas card and letter.  A lot of people hate those family newsletters.  I don't.  I like this person, and I'm always interested in how her year went.

The problem is the response.  My friend has a really good life-- great family, great job, great vacations. 

I have nothing to offer in return.  Here's my first draft of the letter she receives in response.

I had a nice year.  Work kept me busy with several big stories.  There was a lot of time in court, and Hurricane Sandy (I refuse to say "superstorm") jump out at me.

I shopped for a new car.  I didn't buy one.

I shopped for a smart phone.  I didn't buy one.

I did buy a bicycle and joined a gym.  I love the bike, and I feel better since I've been "working out."

I managed to put the brakes on my pen collecting, and I spent a lot of time playing with my camera.

My blog turned 8 this year.

I consumed enough "5 Hour Energy" to kill a yak.

I really racked up the points on my Subway rewards card, and I ate at White Castle for the first time.

Hours were spent pondering how a porcupine could possibly be connected to a train.

Hours were spent watching Penndot patch the same interstate bridge over and over and over again.

Well, that's 2012.  I hope your year was a great one, and I look forward to hearing about your 2013.

Happy Holidays to you and the family.

Your friend, Andy.