Tuesday, January 8, 2013

It Really Is True!

TV stations do it every January-- the story on new year's resolutions.  People always resolve to lose weight and get in shape.  Invariably, the story involves a trip to a gym.  The manager always talks about a big increase in memberships.

For years, I thought it was a scam, an effort by the gym industry to get some free TV time.  There was no way to authenticate the story without looking at the gym's books, and that wasn't going to happen.

Well, I joined a gym three months ago.  I'm there a few times a week, and I really enjoy it.  I don't do much-- just some calorie burning time on the bike and the treadmill.  I'm not what what you would call a "gym rat."  Perhaps, I'm more of a "gym mouse."  It's enough.  I've noticed some subtle results.

Anyway, the point of today's blog-- I did detect several new faces at the gym last week and this.  They all have the same newbie look-- the one I had last year:  "How does this work?"... "What does this setting do?"... "Hey, that machine looks easy."

To those who made new year's resolutions to hit the gym:  congratulations, and keep it up.  I will quote one of my co-workers, who really is a gym rat.  "The hardest part is getting in the car."  Once you've made the commitment to go to the gym, and the drive is underway, the rest is a piece of sugar free, gluten free cake.