Monday, February 4, 2013

Goal Line

Another NFL season has come and gone...  Here's the post script.

The Steelers were beyond disappointing this year.  We'll see how the draft goes, and if they can get things back on track this year.  It's a coaching issue.  The offense was all over the place, and the players have no faith in management.

The NFL is becoming a lot like the NBA-- more players you root against than root for.  The commissioner is trying to keep the league clean.  With drug scandals, homicides, drunk driving, bounties, etc, it appears the commissioner is fighting a losing battle.

Please, if you see me coming today, end the discussion of Super Bowl commercials.  Nothing bores me more.  The same goes for the half time show.

The new controversy deals with head injuries, and President Obama's recent comments that he would have reservations about a son, if he had one, playing football.  I always felt that way.  I saw more kids with ripped up knees and shoulders in high school.  Now, it's concussions-- where the problems don't manifest themselves for years to come.

It's almost like auto racing.  When you get behind the wheel and go 200 MPH, you know there's a chance you're not going to finish the race, if you know what I mean.  If you play football, you have to know you're going to get whacked in the head.  The equipment and the game can be made safer, but there will always be risks.  Is it worth it?  That's up for parents and their children to decide.

Once again, I slept through the Super Bowl and saw the score when I got up at midnight.  Disappointed?  A little.  The Ravens are an easy team to dislike, and the 49'ers aren't much better.

And, for the first time in a long time, my Super Bowl prediction was correct!  I'm no expert.  It was just dumb luck.