Monday, March 4, 2013

+ 30

I've never been to a high school or college reunion.  I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of college classmates I keep in touch with.  When it comes to high school, there's only one I communicate with.

I've written about one of the few friends left from the college days in this space.  There was a long phone conversation on the 25th anniversary of our graduation in 2008.  I called her again in December, after Sandy Hook.  If you dig through the archives you can find that entry.  To make a long story short, she lives about 20 miles away from Newtown, and works in a school.  I was compelled to call with my concerns, and I'm glad I did.  It was great to hear her voice.

Fast forward to one week ago.  Her daughter has chosen to attend the University of Scranton, so both mother and soon-to-be college student were in town for another look around.  My college friend and I arranged to meet up for lunch, the first face-to-face contact in three decades.

I have to level with you.  I was terrified.  Our phone conversations always went well, and there was no rational reason to be afraid.  I think I feared, that after thirty years, it would be like meeting a total stranger.

It wasn't.

It was like Marywood College, 1979-83 all over again.  We talked about everything, past, present and future.  A two hour lunch seemed like two minutes.

I know pictures of us, on graduation day, exist.  I'm sorry.  I couldn't find them.  I'll keep looking.

My friend will be back in late summer, to help her daughter move in to one of the U's dorms.  I look forward to the visit.