Tuesday, March 26, 2013

How Did I Get Here?

There are three questions I receive most often.

1.  What's Snedeker really like?

2.  What time do you get up in the morning (or at night)?

3.  Why did you choose this career?

I'll pass on answering question 1.

The answer to number two is either 10 at night or 1 in the morning, depending on the day of week.

The third question is the toughest.  I really don't know why I chose broadcasting to make a living.  I like telling stories, and I like being the first to know things.  That's likely a major part of it.

I suspect another part of it happened 40 years ago today.  The $10,000 Pyramid made its debut on CBS.  I didn't see the first day, but I do remember being sick, staying home from school that week, and seeing one of the first $10,000 Pyramid broadcasts.

You have to remember the time.  Pyramid was the first big money daytime game show.  Yes, there were bigger prizes offered on games like "21" and the "$64,000 Question" at night and years before.  I remember being mesmerized by the Pyramid lights and sounds, and the brassy theme.  It was unlike anything out there.  Dick Clark made it look so easy and enjoyable-- standing next to the big Pyramid inside the Ed Sullivan Theater in New York.

I think it's when I realized TV can be a lot of fun.  I was already spending a lot of time listening to the radio.

News became my broadcasting field of specialty, and I won't bore you with the rest.

Happy 40th anniversary, $10,000 Pyramid.