Monday, May 13, 2013

Mello Yello

It was one of those bizarre, stream of consciousness conversations you have in the newsroom in the middle of the night, when the rest of the world is asleep.

One thing led to another, and we wound up wondering if the Coca Cola Company will change the name of Mello Yello because of the disgraced, thieving former state senator from Lackawanna County.

Of course, we were just being silly.

A web search shows Mello Yello came out in 1979, to compete with Pepsi Co.'s Mountain Dew.  I would have guessed it was earlier, but as you know, if it's on the internet, it must be true.

I saw it available as a Wendy's choice earlier this week.  I forgot to look for it during a Friday morning big box store.  There is a sugar free version, and I'd like to try that.  Mello Yello came out just as I was leaving high school, and I remember liking it.  That was a long time ago.  While Diet Pepsi is my drink of choice, sometimes you want to do something different.  "Different" usually consists of diet root beer, and there are a few really good brands out there.

Mello Yello's web site has a search feature, where you can find stores near you that carry the product.  The number within a 60 mile radius of my home?  Zero.  I'll keep looking, and if you see it, especially the diet version, drop me a line.

By the way, Jessup borough council voted last week voted to remove the felon's name from a road.  Jessup follows Blakely, Keystone College, Lackawanna College and Marywood University in removing Mellow's name.

Get this-- the only one left is the Boy Scouts.  Its Scranton office is on Bob Mellow Drive in Moosic.  If anyone doesn't live up to the Boy Scout ideals, it's Bob Mellow.

Drink up.