Thursday, June 13, 2013

Cheating

I don't remember what elementary school or junior high school teacher it was, but I do remember one of them saying that if you got caught cheating on a test, the answer giver would be punished more severely than than the taker.  The reasoning was that if someone was giving you the answers, you'd be crazy not to take them.

No.  I never got caught, on either end.  But then again, I did very little cheating.

That brings us to today.  New York Representative Peter King wants reporters prosecuted for publishing or broadcasting classified information.

Mr. King should do a little reading, and I strongly suggest the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

I've read of many cases where reporters declined to go with classified information due to national security concerns.  They didn't want to say or do anything that would place U.S. troops and citizens in jeopardy.

As I've noted here before, a free press is vital for a functioning democracy.  Representative King apparently has problems with that.

Perhaps Representative King should focus his efforts on having the government doing a better job of keeping secrets, or having fewer secrets in general.