Monday, June 10, 2013

Everything Old...

I was killing a little time yesterday afternoon by engaging in one of my favorite pastimes-- looking at old game shows and news broadcasts on YouTube.

It started me thinking how much today's young people have missed, and how the world has changed.

Saturday night, two people were shot after a fight in Hazleton.  Two more were shot Sunday morning in Wilkes-Barre, but police won't tell us what started that incident.

Back in the day, the worst thing that could happen after a fight was a bloody nose or a busted lip.  Now, you get an all expenses paid flight to the nearest trauma center to have lead removed from your body.

Young people have it good.  They literally have the world in their pockets with smart phones and tablets.  On the other hand, that world is a much more dangerous place.

For the longest time, I couldn't figure out the older generation's fascination with Andy Griffith.  Then, I realized it was simply a reminder of a gentler time.  They had Gomer and Goober.  I had Allen Ludden and Gene Rayburn.

I wonder what today's generation will see as their "good old days."