Thursday, August 8, 2013

Todd Pratt

It was my brush with greatness.  I've often told the story, but I think this is its first mention on the blog.  Apologies if you've heard it before.

Once upon a time, when I was working down the street in the early 90's, our sports director wanted to do an interview with Red Barons' catcher Todd Pratt.  The sports director didn't have time to leave the studio, so we sent a photographer and live truck operator to Lackwanna County Stadium.  Pratt would be at the ballpark.  Our sports guy would talk to him from the office.

I don't remember why I went along to the stadium, whether I was just bored and curious, or if that photographer and I had another assignment.

As always, something unforeseen popped up.  In order to hear the sports director at the office, Pratt had to wear one of those earpiece thingies reporters and anchors use.  Pratt had his mitt, shin guards, helmet, and I assume a supporter and cup.  No earpiece.  He borrowed mine.  Yes, a future major leaguer used my earpiece!

So, why am I repeating the story now?  It was revealed over the weekend that Pratt is being treated for head and neck cancer.  Pratt says he's doing well, and I'm happy to hear that.  He seemed like a really nice guy.