Thursday, August 29, 2013

Year One

I've been a proud bicycle owner for exactly one year, and my only regret is not buying one sooner.

There's been a lot of progress in the last twelve months.  On my first trip, I tried too much, too soon, on a full stomach, on a broiling hot and humid summer afternoon.  I lost my l lunch.

Lessons were learned on that first day-- start slow and build momentum.  Eat after the ride, not before.

One year later, I can now breeze up the hills I used to walk up with the bike.  A few blocks became several, then one loop around town, then two, now, three, and I'm on my way to four.

I'm no Lance Armstrong.  The only performance enhancing drugs in my body are Diet Pepsi, a low dose aspirin and 5 Hour Energy.  I'm nowhere near keeping up with Joe Snedeker in the endurance category.

My expectations are realistic-- burn off a few calories and have a little fun.  It's been a good year.

During that first year, I've encountered drunks, deer, raccoons, opossum, cats, skunks, bunnies, and a pair of indiscreet lovers.

I'm amazed at how many people are doing laundry at 2:30 AM.  I've traveled through many dryer vapor clouds of Febreze and Bounce.  I return from trips better smelling than I left.

When I'm in my car, I've always careful around cyclists.  Now that it's my butt on the uncomfortable little seat, I'm even more aware that bikes need their space.

See you on the road.