Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Black Thanksgiving

When you take a job in broadcasting, it's with the understanding that you'll be working odd hours, nights, weekends, overnights, and yes, even holidays.

I'm surprised how many newbies don't grasp that concept.  What are they being taught in college?  However, that's another story for another time.

I'm wondering if the same covenant applies to retail.  If you sign on to work at the typical mall store, you pretty much assume you'll be working somewhere between 10 AM and 9 PM.  Do they now tell you you're going to drag your butt away from Thanksgiving dinner to head to the store?

Yes, I know not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving.  Yes, I know that in a down economy, saving money is more important than ever.  Yes, I know a lot of companies/stores depend on a strong Christmas season to remain viable.

Still, the thought of shopping on Thanksgiving really doesn't work for me.

To each, his own.

Just remember to be kind to the person on the other end of the cash register tomorrow night.