Monday, January 27, 2014

Speechless

Other than the tower falling down, it's a broadcaster's worst fear-- opening your mouth, and nothing comes out.

It happened to me, just after 8 AM, Sunday morning.  My throat just gave out.

I don't think it was due to an illness.  A number of factors conspired to give me a problem-- reading too much copy, dry air, caffeinated drinks, fatigue...

I do drink a lot while I'm on the air, and I've grown fond of those sugar free flavor packets you mix with water..  Yes, I use the "energy" version, but they can do more harm than good.  Unfortunately, caffeine is a necessary evil when you pull all nighters.

I struggled through a couple stories.  A quick thinking director had me jump forward to a tape piece.  It gave me an opportunity to guzzle some liquids to get my throat re-lubricated.  During a break, another director showered me with cough drops and I made it through the rest of the broadcast.

I've never had a good throat.  After several bouts of strep throat, I finally had my tonsils removed a little more than a decade ago.  The post surgery week was filled with pain, but it was worth it in the long run.

Tonsiled or not, there are just some days when you dry out.