Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Escape

Fun fact:  The actual name of Rupert Holmes' 1979 hit "The Pina Colada Song" is "Escape."

Today's theme is "escape."

I'm not a huge sports fan, but I do know my way around.  I listen to a fair amount of sports talk radio.  Yahoo's Steve Czaban does an excellent morning show.  Tony Korhheiser has a 10 AM to noon show on a Washington station that's exceptional.  FOX Sports Radio is strong in the evening and overnight hours.  I'm not an ESPN Radio Fan.  CBS and NBC Sports Radio offerings are vanilla, but still entertaining.  CBS scored points with some good Saturday afternoon shows during college football season.

So, why does a marginal sports fan listen to all sports radio?  The answer is "escape."  It's a nice place to get away from the death and destruction that's a big part of the rest of my day.

What did I get this weekend?  Alex Rodriguez and drug talk, endless discussions of NFL players advocating marijuana as pain medication, and a college player announcing his homosexuality.

They are all important issues, but they really lessened the "escape" factor.  I'm not blaming anyone.  It happens.  I'd rather hear rehashes of the Super Bowl, Syracuse's chances at an NCAA championship, and the Houston Astros' starting rotation.

Sports radio went off and classic rock went on.  I hope to be back soon.  In the meantime, if you hear me singing "Comfortably Numb," you know why.