Monday, February 17, 2014

Fregosi

AP/Philly.com
I was very sorry to learn former Phillies manager Jim Fregosi suffered a stroke and died on Friday.

I met him once, and he was very nice.

It was back in the early 90's, and I was working "down the street."  We knew Fregosi was in town to take an in person look at what was then the Phillies AAA team, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons.

 I do remember I had to ask Fregosi something unpleasant.  He was in town to address the troops, as it were, after Red Barons manager Butch Hobson got into drug trouble and got fired.    While I was looking forward to the meeting, I wasn't looking forward to Jim Fregosi possibly chewing my head off.  Nothing was set up.  A photographer and I simply headed for the stadium and hoped for the best.  As it turned out, we got very lucky.  We pulled up seconds after he did.  I politely asked for a moment, asked my questions, got a response, and left.  Fregosi was exceptionally nice and professional.

I also remember Jim Fregosi was very fond of a Dunmore restaurant, later featured on the Food Network's "Restaurant Impossible."  The restaurant was noted for its dated decor and filthy kitchen.  It's now closed.