Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spring

I went for a longer than normal walk yesterday.  The main reason is it's what the dog wanted, and she always wins.

Plus, it was the last full day of winter, so to was time to assess the season.

A walk around town showed the damage.  Block walls shifted.  Those sealed road cracks became unsealed.  Curbs heaved.  I saw a collapsed car port, potholes, and assorted other problems caused my more snow and more cold than usual.  A dirty, salty crust covered just about everything.

I'm sure the phenomenon has a name.  I don't know what it is, so I'll describe it.  Salt infused melted snow runs down the curb, and creates channels beneath snow and ice piles.  A crunchy shelf forms when it freezes solid overnight.  It brings out the kid in me.  I just love to step on the plates of ice and crack the surface.  Don't ask me why.  It's always been that way.

Look, it's just March 20.  April cold spells and snow storms are not unusual.  There will be several more bad days before we finally turn the corner, but it's just nice to say "spring."