Monday, April 21, 2014

Decisions

I was entertaining a friend from Connecticut last week.

Let's consider our options:  malls and shopping centers, parks, baseball, hockey, movies, Steamtown and museums, river walks, fine dining, not so fine dining, various sightseeing...

What was her choice?  Wegman's!

Really?

There are no Wegman's in Connecticut, and my friend had read about Wegman's coming out on top of a Consumer Reports survey.  She wanted to see what it was all about.

Sorry.  It didn't fit in to our schedule.  Next time.

I can understand my friend's curiosity about Wegman's and I can also understand why it did so well in the Consumer Reports survey.  It's more than a supermarket.  It's also a food court, with things you won't find elsewhere.

WalMart finished at the bottom of the Consumer Reports survey.

I spend time at both stores, mainly because both are open 24 hours, and I'm not a 9 to 5 worker.

I can also understand why people are unhappy with WalMart.  Most of the frustration comes at the often interminable check out line.  As far as the store goes, it has what I need at prices I can pay-- and it's always open.  You'll just have to learn to live with the rest.