Friday, April 18, 2014

Records

I always enjoyed it, but somehow, I got away from the practice.

On a slow afternoon, I'd wander in to a record store, and look for lost treasure.  I wasn't after the new stuff and the latest hits.  There was gold, solid gold, in the oldies bins.  More often than not, I'd walk out with something I hadn't heard in years-- something that brought back a lot of memories.  Memories of when downtown Scranton had a handful of record stores, and just about every department store has a record section.

Why did I stop?  I really don't know.  I suspect the quick and easy availability of music via internet and iTunes.  I'd hear a song on the radio.  Seconds and 99 cents later, it was on my iPod.

I'll always have a fondness for records, especially vinyl.  My early days in radio were spent putting 33's and 45's on the turntables of my college radio station.

If that isn't enough, Capitol Records used to have a huge plant in south Scranton.  Vinyl is in our blood.

If you're considering a record store visit, tomorrow would be a good day   It's National Record Store Day, a day devoted to music, records, and the independent retailers working to keep us entertained.