Friday, May 23, 2014

Mr. Hovey

I was lucky.  I got to work with Tom Hovey.

Tom retires at the close of business today, after about 40 years at WNEP.

When you worked with Tom, you always knew you'd come back with a good story.  It would be nicely edited, and done on time.  For a photographer, there is no higher compliment.

If that wasn't enough, Tom knows the Coal Region like the back of his hand, and he can find the short cut to anywhere.  In a business where minutes count, it's a valuable skill.

And there's more...  Working the overnight shift, I've had to wake up Tom countless times to cover "breaking news."  He always went.  Apologies to Mrs. Hovey.  I'm sure she won't miss my calls.

Tom handled my noon Tuesday live shot from Taylor, pictured above.  I'm off the rest of the week, so when I come back, Tom will have packed up his stuff, turned off his camera, and departed.

Tom Hovey was a big part of local TV history.

Thank you, Tom.