Monday, May 19, 2014

Time Is On My Side

The New York Post reported Saturday that President Obama stays on time by setting his watch ten minutes fast.

I never understood that.

I have family members who regularly set clocks and watches fast.  They say it "tricks" them into getting moving faster and staying on schedule.

What good is setting a clock or watch fast, if you know it's fast and you're the one who set it?

Maybe it's because I've spent so much time in broadcasting that I've become a slave to the clock.  After all, the broadcast has to be ready to go on time, or there's going to be trouble.

The news waits for no one.

Most of my watches and clocks are atomic.  They synchronize themselves with a government master clock-- accurate to the second.  I freak when a store says it's open at 10:00 AM, and the doors are still locked at 10:01.  If the sign says 10:00 AM, you open at 10:00 AM.  I get just as frustrated at delayed doctor and dentist's appointments.  I've walked over being kept waiting, and I never returned.

As comedian George Carlin once said, "You don't tell time.  Time tells you."