Friday, June 20, 2014

PS Friday

Revisiting some recent topics...

A New York Times writer blamed the now departed Casey Kasem for the homogenization of radio.  Please!  Kasem did a weekend three hour (eventually four hour) radio show beginning in 1970.  It gave stations easy and fresh programming on weekends.  That's all.  Why pay an announcer/DJ when you can find a college kid to spin American Top 40 (it was on vinyl discs for the early decades) for minimum wage?  The Telecommunications Act of 1996 is the major reason you can get the same stuff, up and down the dial, from coast to coast.

The state legislature is tinkering with the law that puts municipalities under "distrissed" status.  Scranton has lived there for decades.  It looks like the bill establishes a definite timetable and framework, and that appears to be a good thing.  I do watch council meetings on TV.  New mayor.  New council.  Same old problems.  There is no magic wand.  Fixing Scranton is going to hurt.

I slam bad TV when I see it.  I praise good TV when I see it.  Watch "The Sixties" on CNN, and past episodes are available "On Demand."  It's really well done.

Technology:  Amazon is out with a smart phone on the AT&T system.  I'm an Amazon fan and a Kindle owner.  I still don't own a smart phone, and this isn't going to change my mind.  I had a Blackberry years ago, and realized the only function I was using was the telephone, so I disabled it.

USA Today reports McDonald's is dead last in a consumer satisfaction survey of fast food restaurants.  It's been a while since I've been under the golden arches, so I don't know what the problems are.

Keith Olbermann has it figured out.  Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder says HE will never change the name of the team.  It gives Snyder an out.  The name can change, and Snyder can blame it on congress and the NFL.

Have a great weekend.