Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Sport of Kings

California Chrome co-owner Steve Coburn had an emotional moment after his horse finished fourth at Belmont Saturday afternoon.

Coburn was angry California Chrome lost to horses that hadn't run in the previous two Triple Crown races.

He had a point, but his rant, calling other owners "cowards" was way off base, and it was classless.  At least, Coburn apologized.

The last Triple Crown winner was Affirmed in 1978, and there are severe doubts we'll see another.  Three big races in a month and a half is a lot to ask of a horse, so I'm told.  I held off on a blog entry about Coburn until I had a chance to read more about race horses, and how much rest they need between events.

While I'm inclined to say the rested horses had an unfair advantage, I'll defer to an ESPN expert, who said California Chrome was just a good horse in a mediocre year for three year olds.  Belmont's 1.5 mile course was simply too much for him to handle.