Saturday, February 21, 2015

Andy's Angles: The Courthouse

I really wish I had the time for an in-depth photo essay of the Luzerne County Courthouse.

I was shocked by what I saw this week-- a generally shabby building with water damage on the upper floors and the rotunda.

Now, this is a very old building, and old buildings need a lot of tender lovin' care.  Steps have been taken to reduce the water infiltration, but the damage has been done.  There's a net inside the dome to catch falling plaster.  some murals are badly scarred.

It will cost a fortune to fix, but is there any other choice?  The building is a gem.  Irreplaceable.  The county has to get a handle on these problems right now, before it becomes even more costly to fix.

Water issues aside, I saw a tired old building that wasn't as clean as it once was.  This place used to sparkle, with polished railings and shiny floors.  I don't know what happened and who is responsible.  It just makes me sad.

I checked with one of the courthouse veterans, a man who's in the building every day.  His feelings were the same as mine.  Neglect.  It has to be fixed, and in a hurry.