Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Mike

It takes a special breed to broadcast high school sports.  You want to give listeners and viewers an honest appraisal of what's happening on the field or on the court.  You must never lose sight that they are kids.  Don't be mean.  Don't take cheap shots.  Support and lift up.  Don't berate and beat down.

I was sideline reporter for a few years of TV high school football games in the early and mid 90's.  It was great fun, and I was so lucky to have the opportunity,  but it wasn't as easy as it looked.

Mike Remish did high school and college sports on the radio for decades.  He was also a Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons announcer for several seasons.  Mike was one of the good ones.

Mike Remish died the other day.  68.  Far too young, with so much left to offer.

I'm not going to say I knew Mike well, but I did meet him on several occasions.  Always a gentleman, always a professional, always a handshake and a smile.

The passion separated Mike from the rest.  He really loved what he did.  A lot of kids were lucky to have Mike call their games and announce their achievements.  I'm sure there are plenty of families with cassettes of Mike's work.  Save them.  Treasure them.

My sympathy to Mike's family, friends, and fans.