Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Anniversary

It's more than St. Patrick's Day.  It's the 25th anniversary of my start in television.  I've told the story here before, so I'll give you the short version.

I was in radio for ten years, and loved it, but I saw that my station was on the decline, and there was less of an emphasis on news.  It was time to move on.  I tried and failed to get a couple of TV jobs.  In March of 90, something I was suited for came my way, a foot in the door.  It was an opportunity to do little 30 second updates Saturday mornings and in to the early afternoon.

One thing led to another.  I was offered a full time job six months later, and turned it down.  In an amazing display of bad judgement, the station offered another full time job a year later.  I thought about it for a long time and took it.  I never regretted the move.

There were some career setbacks along the way, but every time something bad happened, something better soon followed.  I've been lucky beyond words, lucky beyond belief.  I've had some great teachers and some people who really believed in me.  We should all be so fortunate.

Thanks for a great 25.