Thursday, March 19, 2015

Near Miss or Near Hit?



It was strange that happened on my 25th anniversary in television news. Just when you think you've seen it all, something unusual and bizarre happens.

I was doing live reports for Newswatch 16 This Morning on a flipped trailer along Interstate 81 at the Wilkes-Barre Scranton International Airport exit. While I was describing the crash scene, another tractor trailer nearly crashed.

From looking at the video, it was clear that second truck was traveling far too fast. Flashing lights were all over the place, yet the driver chose to barrel through and nearly created a second crash. I suspect the second would have been worse than the first because there were emergency service workers and clean up people all over the place.

It all happened so quickly. I was referring to my notes when I heard the loud noise of the near hit behind me. There's a bright light in my face. By the time I turned around to see what was happening and my eyes adjusted, it was over.

Photographer Jason Wolf told me what had happened as soon as I wrapped up. The whole thing was caught on live TV. A worker with the hazardous materials clean up company asked if it was captured on video. We replied that it was. I suspect someone is searching for that driver as you read this.

Slow down!!!!!