Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Strike!

Teachers in the Riverside School District went on strike Monday morning.  The strike lasted all of one day.

I'm not going to debate the specifics of the dispute.  The teachers want more money.  The district claims poverty.  The average Riverside teacher salary in 2013 was more than $ 59,000.  I'll let you decide what's fair.

I've long felt good teachers should get good money.  Bad teachers should get fired.  Plus, teachers need to do more than teach.  They should inspire.  I've encountered far too many who were just going through the motions.  The students weren't the only ones with their eyes on the clock, watching the school day seconds tick away.

The entire system needs work, new thinking, new ideas, freshness, vision.  Learning should be fun.  Our system has turned it in to a chore.

Unfortunately, all I see coming down the pike is more of the same.