Monday, March 2, 2015

Unfinished Monday

Sorry for two consecutive weeks of Unfinished Mondays.  A nasty cold and some nasty weather still have me down.

I'm sorry I couldn't make it to former Scranton Mayor Jim McNulty's 70th birthday party Friday night.  He and I go back to 1980 or 1981.  McNulty agreed to come up to Marywood one night and help me with a TV production course project.  I didn't know him, but I always admired the way he did things.  I just called and asked for an interview.  If I remember right, I was too frightened and intimidated to be any good.  Jim was gracious and professional, as always.  I was in the TV studio when he arrived.  I remember a classmate calling me and saying "Mr. McNulty is here."  I nearly passed out.   It was my first big interview.   Jim gets a blog entry of his own someday soon.

I finally figured out what I hate about the new Odd Couple on CBS.  Jack Klugman's Oscar was more good natured and playful.  Even though Felix pushed his buttons, you could tell the pair shared friendship and affection.  Matthew Perry's Oscar seems more easily peeved, snarky and angry.  I really don't sense an emotional connection between the two.  Tony Randall's Felix was constantly pining for Gloria.  Has the new ex even been mentioned?

Thanks for watching the weekend morning broadcasts, and tolerating a raspy voice.  I think I underestimated my illness, and probably should have taken the weekend off.  As I write this, I still can't shake it.

Rest in Peace, Leonard Nimoy.  I'm not a sci fi guy, but I do have an appreciation for the draw of Star Trek and the Spock character Nimoy brought to life.  It would have been great to see Nimoy appear in a Big Bang Theory episode.  He did provide the voice for an action figure on a recent episode.  An in-person appearance would have been off the charts.

I'm no expert, but I'm mildly surprised accused killer Rockne Newell was judged mentally competent to stand trial.  If convicted, I'm sensing a George Banks style appeal ad infinitum.

It's March.  Please?  Just one nice day?