Thursday, April 23, 2015

TWIB Notes

I was wandering through a book store the other day, and I saw a new book on Billy Martin.  New York Times writer Bill Pennington authored it.  He was interviewed on Olbermann Tuesday afternoon.

I've read other books on Billy Martin, and I know all I care to know about the man.  He was a great manager for Detroit, Texas, Oakland, and the Yankees.  Unfortunately, he had his demons.  Namely, alcohol.  Martin won games and turned teams around.  He had a nasty habit of being difficult to deal with, and there are times he hurt more than he helped.

Here's what fascinates me.  Billy Martin died nearly 26 years ago.  Yet another book has been written about him, proving he's still a fascinating character nearly three decades after his death.

FOX Sports has hired Pete Rose.  Friends, that's why your TV remove has an "off" button.

Cincinnati Reds manager Bryan Price went nuts on the media the other day.  During a tirade, he dropped the F bomb 77 times in five minutes and 34 seconds.  I support free speech, but here's what really gets me.  Price was angry at reporters for daring to ask questions and be critical of the team.  Price was way off base.

It happens far too often.  Beat writers turn into "homers."  There's fear and intimidation.  If you don't toe the line for the team, there will be consequences.  One of the reasons I have problems with Penn State, long before Sandusky, is a little incident in the early 90's.  I was covering a game for an independent production company.  A veteran warned me, knowing I have a reputation of being a hard butt, that those who ask critical questions get frozen out of future media opportunities.  I bit my tongue and couldn't wait to get out of there.

And, yes, it happens in news.  I've seen reporters get too cozy with those they cover, and they won't pull the trigger when it's time to hold feet to the fire.  Sorry for the cliches, but it's a quick and effective way to get a point across.

In case you're wondering, "TWIB" notes was the "round up" feature on the old This Week in Baseball TV show.