Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day

I know it's the unofficial start of the summer season, a day for picnics, barbecues and friends.  A day off, a day to relax.

I get that, and all those things are important, but please, take a moment to remember what Memorial Day is all about.

Marywood University does a field of flags thing every fall.  I took this photo a few years ago.  There is one flag here for every soldier killed since 9/11.  The new library is in this space now.  Last year, the flag display was moved to a field adjacent to North Washington Avenue.

As I've noted here before, Memorial Day is a tough one in the TV news business.  Every town and city has an observance.  We get to as many as we can.  It's impossible tovisit them all.  Please, don't be offended.

Memorial Day is to honor our war dead, but I don't think it hurts to thank a soldier or veteran-- and their family.