Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Deja Vu

I thought I was the only one.

Let me back up a moment.  I'm a newsie, even on my days off.  I was very tempted to go to Scranton to watch that massive tire warehouse burn, and take a photo or two.  But some  things came up, and I reasoned that police and firefighters already had their hands full.  Another spectator, even one from a distance, wasn't going to help.

Newswatch 16 had a sound bite from someone in the neighborhood.  He said that even though the building was only six stories tall, the scene was reminiscent of New York City on 9/11.  The same thought ran through my mind when I checked the news video, and saw the plume of smoke rising from several miles away.

I did make it down there Sunday morning, after the immediate emergency had passed.  When you look at the building, its construction, and the contents, it's a miracle no one was killed.

While just a big brick box, and not architecturally interesting, there is a lot of history here, and it's sad to see it go.