Friday, October 2, 2015

Strike

Scranton teachers are wrapping up their first week on the picket line.

While not commenting specifically on the Scranton situation, good teachers should get good money.  Bad ones should get fired.  I've encountered far too much laziness and incompetence during my personal and professional life.

I do see the need for the union.  Even the best teacher might need some protection from politically charged school boards.  Once again, I've seen far too much "it's who you know" type behavior out there.  School boards are another topic for another time.  I've seen a lot of baffling and questionable behavior over the years.

Scranton's strike is different from most others.  Extra curriculars, including sports, are done until the strike is over.  I know academics are more important than football games, but this one really seems to hurt the kids.

I can't help but wonder how many times we have to go through this before we come up with a better way of handling and compensating our educators.