Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Two Weeks


The general election is two weeks from today, and one thing in the current cycle has really jumped out at me.

Judicial races, especially ones for Pennsylvania Superior and Supreme Court used to be genteel affairs.  Candidates would tout their achievements, accomplishments, and records.

Now, the races are negative and nasty.  Many of the ads come from third parties, and not candidates themselves.  Still, it's a disturbing trend.  I think I speak for a lot of voters when I say I like to vote "for" a candidate rather than "against" one.

Sad to say, quoting sports broadcaster Michael Kay, the milk isn't going back in the udder.  Nasty is here to stay, and it will probably get even worse.

There have been efforts over the years to switch to a merit selection system, rather than popular votes.  I still have my reservations on that.  Anything that takes choices out of the hands of voters doesn't work for me.  Do we really want the people in Harrisburg, or panels chosen by legislators, to do the selection for us?  All you have to do is look at the current Pennsylvania budget mess for the case against merit selection.  Harrisburg doesn't have a track record that inspires pride and confidence.

Again, there are two weeks to go before we head to the polls.  Use the time to do a little research, and make what you believe are the wise choices.