Wednesday, December 2, 2015

50

"A Charlie Brown Christmas" aired for the 50th time Monday night.  For me, "A Charile Brown Christmas" stands head and shoulders above the rest.  It isn't even close.

Of course, it triggered a discussion at the office.  I was shocked when I heard some say they don't like it because it's depressing.

I will concede that there are depressing moments, as Charile Brown struggles with the concept and commercialization of Christmas.  But he overcomes that, and everyone comes together at the end to appreciate the true meaning of Christmas.

I can relate.  Christmas isn't easy for some people.  My holidays were always low key.  I envied those with big families and a lot to do in late December.  There were years I sent out tons of Christmas cards in an attempt to capture the holiday spirit.  It was a nice gesture, but it hollowed out after a while, and I stopped.

Silly as it may sound, but Christmas isn't in a card.  I appreciate what I have.  My holidays aren't that busy, and I've learned to savor the quiet time.  I've worked a lot of Christmas Eves and Christmas days over the years.  No complaints.  When you take a job in news, it comes along with the territory.  It's part of the package.

You know what?  I've never attended a company Christmas party.  Never ever.  There was never a desire to.  I like the people I work for and with.  Christmas party?  Pass.  There have been small gatherings with friends over the years, but most of those have fallen by the wayside because of work.

There are some things I really miss, including slamming the school books for the last time before an extended holiday vacation.   I miss how Marywood would clear out after finals, and a small group of us would keep the radio station up and running for a month, until the new semester started.  I miss that absolute quiet from about 10 pm Christmas Eve until early Christmas morning.  That doesn't seem to happen any more.  I miss walking around town with my friends, looking at decorated houses.

I've been dropping Marywood's Christmas tree lighting for the past several years.  If that doesn't get you feeling happy, nothing well-- a great tree, in a spectacular building, music, happy children and adults, the occasional old friend stopping by...

The bottom line is that the glass half empty / half full struggle is very real at this time of year.  Charlie Brown had it, and I've very happy with my half full glass.  In many respects, it's filled to the top and even overflowing.

Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown.